1939 was the year “Gone With The Wind” and “The Wizard of OZ” premiered. It was also a banner year for the Carnegie Free Library. This article from April 6, 1939 Alliance Review offers circulation stats for the month of March.
In 1859, the four Haines brothers plus six other young musicians banded together to form the city’s first marching musical unit. The first memorable activity of the band prior to the Civil War, was a brief concert at the railway station in February, 1861, when Lincoln passed through Alliance on his way to Washington to be inaugurated. The Civil War brought a period of inactivity with the loss of four of its members to the army. At the close of the war, however, the band was reorganized in 1866, with Columbus Haines again assuming the Directorship. After several years, the band lapsed into inactivity again, this time for about twenty years. Members came out only at Memorial Day and Fourth of July celebrations. In the late 1880’s, Chalmers Hudson, Harry Shaffer, Sym Donaldson, and Billy Shoemaker reorganized a group of twelve musicians and assumed the name of the Alliance City Band. Included were some of the members of the original unit, that group formed the nucleus of the Alliance City Band which has been a continous active organization since that time. In the early days of 1906, the band underwent a complete change, bringing in new methods and talent. Frank P. Atherton, then in charge of the theatre orchestra, was asked to wield the baton.and the band with a roster of thirty men rapidly began earning a reputation for itself throughout the state.
Very little is recorded for the next decade until Emil Rinkendorf of Canton was asked to direct the group in 1917. Thus began a golden era of musical presentations. During World War I, the band played for Liberty Loan Drives and served as a great morale booster at weekly band concerts during the summer months. Under Rinkendorf’s direction, the band played for many years at the Canton fair grounds and accompanied Knights Templar and Elk delegations, playing in such cities as Wheeling, East Liverpool, Cincinnati, Cedar Point Columbiana, Congress Lake and Cleveland. A winter concert was usually held at the Columbia Theatre or the High School auditorium. Rinky, as he was affectionately known, was a nationally known musician and at one time was invited to become director of the United 8tates Marine Band. His excellent work attracted attention among Alliance Talent until in 1938, the band boasted a roster of fifty members. The great musical career ended February 26, 1940, only one day after the Alliance City Band played its winter concert in his dedication. (from Alliance Memory)
The Auld family was influential in the establishment of a building supply company in the late 1800s and early 1900s on the city’s east side. The family home was at 708 S. Liberty Avenue and Summit Street.
John Auld, Sr. established a brick and tile company in 1884 as John Auld & Sons, with sons William and Robert. The business was originally on Morgan Avenue, then moved to S. Meadow when Morgan Engineering expanded, then to 771 Auld Street in 1930 when American Steel Foundries expanded. What started as a family-owned brick and tile business later became Alliance Clay Products. Alliance Builders Supply Company was the newly established business in 1920 by William R. Jones and Albert Wefler, sons-in-law of William Auld.
“Auld Street, named after John Auld’s sons, William and Robert, was put through in 1903 when Alliance Machine Company was started.”
From Heald, E. T. The Stark County Story, vol. IV, part III, “The American Way of Life, 1917-1959.” Canton, OH: The Stark County Historical Society, 1959, p. 171.
The earliest Alliance telephone book owned by Rodman Public Library is the October 1923 edition. In addition to Alliance, listings for Atwater, Marlboro, and Sebring are also included. The cover declares, “Station-to-station service with low evening and night rates has brought Long Distance within reach of everyone. Mabel (whose name is mispelled Mable) Hartzell’s phone number was 7992 and Col. Morgan had two listings, one for his garage and one for his home (Glamorgan):
- Morgan W H gar 203 Glamorgan Av – 2257
- Morgan W H Col r 1025 S Union Av – 3107
The first rotary dial telephones were implemented in 1919 but not put into service by the Bell Telephone Company until 1923. Previous to that, one had to connect with an operator to place a call.
The information in the 1923 phone book includes this advice to novice telephone dialers:
How to Dial: To dial any digit, place your finger firmly into the hole of the dial through which that digit is seen. Pull the dial around to the right until your finger strikes the finger stop. Remove your finger and without touching dial, allow it to return to rest.
Dialing Cautions: Be sure to keep the receiver off the hook while dialing.
Telephone books included phone numbers and advertisements and were published by the telephone companies Ohio Bell through 1986, Ameritech/Ohio Bell 1986-2000, Ameritech/SBC 2001-2005, AT&T 2006-present.
Charles Lindbergh was a hero, having completed the first transatlantic flight in The Spirit of St. Louis on May 21, 1927. To celebrate this accomplishment and to promote airmail service and the expansion of commercial aeronautics, Lindbergh conducted a west to east coast flight later that summer.
He landed in Cleveland and the next stop was to be Pittsburgh. A delegation of officials from Canton lobbied for seven hours to get Lucky Lindy to fly over their city. When Alliance officials became aware that they succeeded with their request, they too were able to get the famous aviator to fly over our city.
About noon on August 3, 1927, Lindbergh circled three times low over the Alliance downtown area. People were on rooftops, factory and fire alarms blew, and there was much cheering in the streets as residents caught a glimpse of Charles Lindbergh. The Alliance Review of August 3, 1927, relates this story, “Swooping low over the housetops, Col. Charles Lindbergh drove his silver bird, the ‘Spirit of St. Louis,’ over Alliance shortly before noon…. Like a bird of the air, the conqueror of the Atlantic rose and fell gracefully, circled the business district thrice and then headed east for Youngstown and Pittsburgh.”
Although he did not land in Alliance, Lindbergh dropped a canvas bag with a yellow streamer ribbon that included a message for the citizens of Alliance to support the development of airports and air mail.